Jump to content

- - - - -

Number of different animal physiotherapy organisations.............

Posted by Taranet Therapies , 23 March 2011 · 192 views

At Taranet Complementary Animal Therapies as we're an independent website offering free information on a range of complementary animal therapies, we often get asked for advice. We're always pleased to give advice when asked, as realise from our own experience that the world of natural therapies for horses (& other animals) is quite complex to those who're new to it (and even for those who're not new)!

One of the most frequent questions we get asked by people who're interested in training as an animal or veterinary physiotherapist, is which is the best educational route to choose. There are several different professional associations, that qualified veterinary or animal physiotherapists can join. These include for example - the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists, Institute of Registered Veterinary and Animal Physiotherapists, International Association of Animal Therapists, National Association of Veterinary Physiotherapists.

So how does someone decide which qualification is best to obtain? The associations listed above do not all accept the same qualifications for membership. It can definitely be confusing!

Our first piece of advice is to ask the prospective student to decide whether they want to obtain the title 'Chartered Physiotherapist'. This title is protected by law, and therefore offers the public a certain level of reassurance that those who've attained that title, do have a high level of education. However, that isn't to say that the other qualifications aren't also satisfactory! Being a chartered physiotherapist does mean though that the physio can also treat humans - this can be a definite bonus for those working with horses and riders - very often, a 'problem' may not stem soley from the horse and may in fact be rider induced (e.g. through a weakness in the leg or arm). So being able to 'treat' the rider can help achieve a greater success for the horse and rider partnership.

There are postgraduate (MSc) level courses that can be obtained leading to veterinary physiotherapy courses, (e.g. Harper Adams University College, Hartpury College and (until recently) Royal Veterinary College) however, they too have different entry requirements.............So again this can make it hard for potential students to decide on which route to choose.

Our over-riding advice is always that for any complementary animal therapist, gaining a successful reputation with clients and (perhaps more importantly) Veterinary Surgeons is essential. No matter which complementary animal therapy profession is chosen, if you do not have a good reputation with clients or the veterinary professional, it maybe very hard to gain referrals and therefore establish a customer base.

To help choose between complementary animal therapy related courses, it can be a good idea for a prospective student to think about what are the concerns they have about each course that they're considering? Then speak to some of the associations, universities/colleges and even existing established veterinary or animal physiotherapists to help determine the best route to choose. It maybe in some instances that choosing a career as an Equine Sports Massage therapist maybe preferred, instead of an animal/veterinary physiotherapist. Or even choosing another complementary animal therapy career, or training in more than one therapy............There are many therapists who offer a range of services for their animal clients, to help them work with animals experiencing a range of health/wellbeing issues.

For more information visit the Taranet website at: www.taranet.co.uk/directory.htm

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

May 2015

252627 28 293031

Recent Comments